Preservation Austin is always resourceful on its annual homeward journey. Over the past few years we’ve seen the joys of experiencing some of Austin’s most remarkable homes – not necessarily the grandest or most iconic, but often the most distinctive and representative, organized around specific time periods, neighborhoods, and style themes.
Over the past few years, the nonprofit dedicated to “Saving the Good Stuff” in Austin’s built-up area has invited us to see the city’s eye-catching Victorian examples, its mid-century modern legends, its post-war bungalows and much more from the Proximity to view and immerse yourself in the history of a variety of neighborhoods from Robertson Hill / Guadalupe in East Austin to various locations in Bouldin Creek in South Austin.
This year, the nonprofit’s 27th annual fundraiser focuses on a specific type of home design. “The Art of the Craftsman Style,” taking place on Saturday April 27th, explores the impact of the Arts and Crafts Movement in Austin.
The tour is presented in coordination with the Harry Ransom Center exhibition. The Rise of Everyday Design: The arts and crafts movement in the UK and America currently on view gives ticket holders access to seven exemplary artisan-style homes from an architectural era that is one of the most famous, preserved, and preserved throughout Country reproduced. The stories available on the tour offer a glimpse into artisanal life in the early 20th century, as well as an exploration of the creative updates and additions that made them adapt to contemporary life.
In the run-up to the event, here are some examples of the stops that will be on the tour (descriptions and photos courtesy of Preservation Austin).
West Ninth Street (1916, Old West Austin)
This classic Old West Austin bungalow and the Austin landmark keep their original windows, doors and hardware. Butler’s pantry and fireplace; built-in bookcases with leaded glass doors; and beautiful wooden roof beams. The current owners removed drywall to expose long-leaved pine ships, renovated the second floor into bedrooms and children’s play areas, and kept the original cabinets in the updated kitchen.
East 16th Street (ca.1920, moved 1954 to Chestnut)
Casey Woods Photography
The 2017 Preservation Merit Award winner features an original built-in sideboard, exposed ship walls and ceilings, and formal pocket doors. The architect and owner Erica Keast Heroy designed her beautiful rear annex and master suite. The Young family, owners of Hillside Drugstore in East Austin (now Hillside Farmacy), bought the house at auction at the University of Texas in 1954 and moved it from its original location on Trinity Street and 23rd Street.
Avenue D (1912, Hyde Park)
This elegant bungalow in the Hyde Park Local Historic District shows an American Foursquare design with artisanal influences, including diamond-cut windows, Doric columns and original lighting fixtures. The interior shows the meticulous eye of the current owners for the restoration and their beautiful collection of antique furniture and artwork. Additional features include a kitchen remodel / addition by Clayton & Little, a lush, handicraft-inspired garden and a redesign of the interior by The Renner Project.
Terrace Street (1928, Travis Heights)
This 1928 bungalow features the historic civil building of the Blue Bonnet Hills section of Travis Heights. The current owners have expanded a 600-square-foot master suite with Duckworth Custom Homes, which was completed in 2016. The project includes extensive reclaimed materials that complement the size of the original home and original teardrop-shaped siding, windows, floors and working chimney. A spacious new screened porch features beautiful encaustic tiles imported from Nablus in the West Bank. A complete landscape redesign by Murray Legge Architect is underway.
Duval Street (1929, Hyde Park)
This quaint, Tudor Revival-style bungalow is on the Shadow Lawn Addition, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and part of the Hyde Park Local Historic District. The historical features range from original roof tiles imported from Belgium to push-button light switches. Echoes of a mid-century remodel include pink bathroom tile and yellow tile. The breakfast room has original peacock wallpapers and the owners have discovered over fifty species of birds in their beautiful organic garden.
Wheeler Street, (1916, Aldridge Place)
This stately home in the Aldridge Place Local Historic District features flared roof lines, deep eaves, and massive roof mounts. Architect Leslie Iredell designed this house with his twin next door in 1914. The house was empty and nearly ruined in the 1980s before the current owner transformed it from demolition to a 1987 Preservation Merit Award winner. Paul Lamb Architects designed a historically sensitive renovation in 2002. Today the house has an incredible 54 historical windows as well as a modern kitchen and a swimming pool.
Treadwell Street (1936, Zilker)
Harmony Grogan, Principal of Pluck Architecture, bought this working class bungalow in 2009. The late Craftsman-era design includes a parenthesized entrance awning, a full-length pine molding, and the original brick stove. Room-to-room updates include gorgeous new fixtures in keeping with the Craftsman style ethic. a new kitchen and a new attic office; and exposed ship’s hatch. Other historical features include original teardrop siding, wooden window grilles, and hardwood floors.