Historic modernist South Austin home asks $2M

Alongside the Bohn House (1938) and the Red River International House (1947), the Blackshear House is one of the few remaining residences in Austin that draws on the Art Deco, Streamline Moderne and International Style movements. The Grade II listed two-story building featured on the Preservation Austin Homes Tour 2016 was built in 1950 and has a number of features that accommodate these styles, including a white stucco facade, steel-framed windows, and a flat roof.

The design of both the original part of the house and a 1955 basement extension evolved during construction. The second floor became an apartment that was originally accessed via an escape ladder, making it kind of a two-level affair. The listed house has a total of four bedrooms and three bedrooms on 2,564 square meters.

While the kitchen has been modernized, the bathrooms updated, and custom cabinetry added, the house retains its historical essence as well as a remarkable number of original features. Listed on United Real Estate Austin with Jay Billig (who owned the property in 2014, according to Preservation Austin), it is located at 806 Bouldin Avenue (Bouldin Creek, of course). It is priced at $ 1,987,000.

An open plan kitchen and dining area with a low ceiling made of concrete beams.  The wooden dining table is long and minimalist.

A kitchen with a low ceiling with concrete beams, cabinets made of stained walnut wood and an apron sink, as well as a wide picture window above the counter.

A bedroom with two three-part roll-up windows in the corner, taupe-colored stucco walls, a light wooden outer door and part of a bed in the foreground.

A studio apartment kitchen, dining room and part of a living room.  The kitchen has a vintage backsplash with pink tiles.  The furniture is vintage look modernist.

A bedroom with a large set of metal rollout windows on one wall, a low ceiling, and light green stucco walls.  a wooden floor, a light wooden outer door with three horizontal windows in the upper half.

A narrow, covered veranda that is attached to a white stucco house.  Above that to the left is a large row of metal rollout windows.  It extends over the roof to the right.  In the middle there is a long, simple, light wooden table and chairs.

Comments are closed.