AUSTIN (KXAN) – With the Austin area continuing to emerge from its freezing state during winter storms last week, some people are still struggling to get what they need.
The city of Austin said in a press release Monday night it would continue to hand out cases of bottled water and emergency meals, and help simplify other services with partners.
In rural areas of central Texas, evidence of boiling water is slow to stop
Where to find water
While hints about boiling water are being kept in Austin, there are still people – especially in apartment complexes – who don’t have access to running water. The city has cut some water distribution points due to lower demand. However, if people need a case of bottled water, volunteers start offering it from 9:00 a.m. Tuesday:
- Lakeline Station, 13625 Lyndhurst Blvd.
- Nelson Field, 7105 Berkman Drive
- Roy G. Guerrero Park, 400 Grove Blvd.
- Garrison Park, 6601 Menchaca Rd.
- Onion Creek Football Complex, 5600 E. William Cannon Dr.
- ACC Pinnacle Camps, 7748 US-290
- Manor Distribution Site, at the corner of Lockwood Road and Blake Manor Road, Manor TX 78653. NOTE: Manor distribution begins at 11am
- Lago Vista City Hall, 5803 Thunderbird, Lago Vista, Texas 78645
- Village of Point Venture offices, 411 Lohman Ford Road, Leander, Texas 78645
- Jones Brothers Park, 10301 Lakeside Dr, Jonestown, Texas 78645
Officials ask if you are getting to a spot in a car, if your trunk has burst, or if there is space in your back seat for volunteers to put the case of bottled water in your car. If you are on foot, they recommend you bring a cart or something to carry the water.
The Texas Beer Company in Taylor also confirmed that they will be filling containers with water from 2pm to 6pm
Where to find food
The city said Monday it had served 30,000 emergency meals and they would be serving additional meals on Tuesday from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Millennium Complex, 1156 Hargrave St., east Austin. Edwin Marty, Austin’s manager of food policy, says the city of Austin has partnered with the American Red Cross and other organizations to distribute the meals.
“It’s outrageous what happened to us”: Thousands in Gillespie County are still waiting for power
Mission Church will distribute free meals and water from 6pm to 8pm in Round Rock. They teamed up with Foursquare Disaster Relief to get a semi truck with dry food, protein and water. They’ll be there until supplies run out.
The location is at 2120 N Mays St # 290.
Where to shower or do laundry
If it’s a shower or a fresh load of laundry you’re looking for, the Austin Disaster Relief Network is here to help support the people in the local churches. People need to sign up for slots for the aid network website in advance. Here are the locations for shower and laundry services:
- Northwest Austin: City Reach Church, 3502 Hatch Road, Cedar Park, Texas 78623
- Southwest Austin: Austin Oaks Church, 4220 Monterey Oaks Blvd.
- Southeast Austin: Shoreline Church – South Campus, 2008 Brandt Rd. (Showers Only)
- Northeast Austin: Our Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, 1513 East Yager Ln. (Check availability on the ADRN website. As of Tuesday morning, this website was “open soon”.)
- Georgetown (opening soon): Riverside Mobile Home Park (First Georgetown Baptist Church), 7275 E. Hwy 29
Some of the YMCA locations in the Austin area also offer the public the use of shower facilities. Everyone must wear a mask and identify themselves upon arrival. Here are the YMCAs that offer showers:
- East Communities YMCA, 5315 Ed Bluestein Blvd., 512-933-9622
- Hays Communities YMCA, 465 Buda Sportsplex Dr., 512-523-0099
- North Austin YMCA, 1000 W. Rundberg Ln., 512-973-9622
- Northwest Family YMCA, 5807 McNeil Dr., 512-335-9622
- Southwest Family YMCA, 6219 Oakclaire Dr., 512-891-9622
- TownLake YMCA, 1100 W. Cesar Chavez St., 512-542-9622
Inquire about the operating hours at each location.
Home in need of repair? Great city resource site
If your home needs post-repair work, the city’s development department has put together a resource page that includes safety information, if you are doing repairs yourself, what type of work requires a permit, and how to get an emergency permit.