The mini-chain East Side Pies of the pizzeria in Austin closed their Crestview restaurant on West Anderson Lane 1809 in mid-August, as reported by CultureMap Austin. Co-owner Michael Freid explained via Nextdoor that the decision to close this location had been taken because it was already near another restaurant on Airport Boulevard. This location will remain open, as will the Rosewood Avenue and Austin-Bergstrom Airport restaurants.
Franklin barbecueShepherd’s Pie
Franklin Barbecue Pitmaster Aaron Franklin attended the recurring Pie Nights from famous pastry chef Dominique Ansel, held yesterday. Here, the New York Bakery offers unlimited slices of different cakes for a fixed time and reservations. Franklin’s contribution was, of course, a shepherd’s cake.
Barbecue Festival tickets
The much-anticipated Texas Monthly BBQ Fest returns in November, when 31 barbeques from across the state gather in Austin to serve smoked meats. Participating locations in Austin include La Barbecue, Micklethwait Craft Meats, Stiles Switch, Tex Mex BBQ by Valentina, Terry Black’s, and Cooper’s. Blood Bros. BBQ in Bellaire is a new addition to the product line, which comes from the best grill of the State List publication. See the full list below.
The main event will take place on Sunday November 3rd at the Long Center. General admission tickets are $ 80 at VIP with early admission of $ 165. There will be two events on Saturday November 2nd before the barbecue festival. There’s an educational event at Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew (which is already sold out) and a party at Franklin Barbecue with other grill sites that aren’t in the main event. While the class is sold out, tickets for the evening party are still available for $ 125.
Good AppetiteBest list of the best new restaurants
Food magazine Bon Appetit published its long list of the 50 potentially best new restaurants in the country for the year. The only shot in Austin is the Carpenters Hall hotel restaurant in South Austin, which is owned by BA Editor-in-Chief Andrew Knowlton. The website had changed its main image of the carpenters’ chicken schnitzel to a photo of the dining room and open kitchen of another restaurant after the list was posted and added a disclosure. The winners will be announced next week on Tuesday, September 17th.
Best grill list
Speaking of barbecues, Southern Living has published its list of the 50 best BBQ spots in the South. For Austin, these include Franklin Barbecue, Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, and Micklethwait Craft Meats, as well as the nearby resorts of Snow’s BBQ, Louie Mueller Barbecue, and Kreuz Market.
Texas Monthly BBQ Fest Barbecue Lineup
- 2M Smokehouse (San Antonio)
- Baker Boys BBQ (Gonzalez)
- BBQ on the Brazos (Cresson)
- Blood Bros. BBQ (Bellaire)
- Cattleack Barbeque (Dallas)
- Coopers Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que (Austin)
- Evie Maes Pit Barbecue (Wolfforth)
- The Granary Cue & Brew (San Antonio)
- Guess family grill (Waco)
- Hays Co. Bar-B-Que (San Marcos)
- Home Barbecue (Fort Worth)
- Hutchins BBQ (Frisco / McKinney)
- Joseph’s Riverport BBQ (Jefferson)
- Killens Barbecue (Pearland)
- The Grill (Austin)
- Lockhart Smokehouse (Dallas)
- Louie Mueller Barbecue (Taylor)
- Micklethwait Craft Meats (Austin)
- Miller’s Smokehouse (Belton)
- Pinkertons Barbecue (Houston)
- Pody’s BBQ (Pecos)
- Roegels Barbecue Co. (Houston)
- Smolik’s smokehouse (Mathis)
- Snow BBQ (Lexington)
- Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew (Austin)
- Stillwater Barbeque (Abilene)
- Tejas Chocolate Craftory (Tomball)
- Terry Black’s Barbecue (Austin)
- Truth BBQ (Brenham)
- Tyler’s Barbeque (Amarillo)
- Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ (Austin)